Saturday, August 23, 2008

Who are you wearing? Why are you watching?

Did anyone catch "Who are you wearing?" on TLC last night? It sounded good, L and I had high hopes for it.

Each week on WAYW, four ordinary sew-ers from all walks of life compete to dress a "celebrity" client for a red carpet event. The first episode's celebrity was Alison Sweeney, not familiar to me and introduced as being on The Biggest Loser and a soap opera, neither of which I watch. The host is Keisha Whitaker, another unknown to me, looking painfully anorexic. There are four contestants -- this episode had one guy, three ladies all from little towns in California. Each episode is self-contained with a winner at the end of the hour. One designer is eliminated at each section - the design drawing, the shoping/sewing, the fitting and the final selection. This group seemed to have a lot of potential to create something wonderful, but they stumbled. I thought I saw Alison's face fall when the choices were presented; they looked terrible, despite her telling them what she wanted and what she didn't like earlier at each point along the way.

Hopefully upcoming episodes will be better. . .