Sunday, September 23, 2007

Ginger Carrot Soup


From the January/February 2007 Everyday Food #39 - "Special Light Issue" Carrots, sweet potatoes and ginger warm you up with beta carotene. I flat freeze the leftovers in 1 quart size Zip-locs. You'll be glad to have a Cuisinart, unless you are a Food Network-worthy chopper. An immersion blender is also your best friend. I use a large onion and slightly smaller piece of ginger (1 1/2"), otherwise they can overpower. I also leave out the lemon juice and cream. Recipe says it serves 8, but I'm able to freeze 10 portions.

GINGER-CARROT SOUP

2 tablespoons olive oil...2 medium onions, chopped...2 pounds carrots, chopped...2 sweet potatoes (1 1/4 pounds total), peeled and chopped...1 2" piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped (2 tablespoons)...2 cans 14.5 ounce each reduced sodium chicken broth...4 cups water...coarse salt and pepper...2-3 teaspoons sugar...2-3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice...1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)

In a large 5 quart saucepan, heat oil over medium; add onions and cook, stirring occasionally until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add carrots, sweet pototatoes, ginger, broth and 4 cups water. Season with salt and pepper.

Bring to boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Use an immersion blender or puree mixture in batches in a blender until smooth. Add sugar and lemon juice to taste. Heat over medium and add cream if desired.

From Everyday Food, #39, January/February 2007

1 comment:

IsDihara said...

A friend made this soup for me after my baby was born and I was in heaven! I just phoned her yesterday to ask for the recipe and she told me she wasn't able to find it online. She has be jealously guarding her copy of the magazine so the recipe isn't lost!

So I was delighted to see that you posted it on your blog. It is SO delicious, don't you agree?

Have you tweaked the recipe to taste since you posted this?