Saturday, July 21, 2007

Senior-itis 1977


How skinny was I?! Those arms are concave! Six feet tall and 115 pounds. Not even the in-style "muscle" sleeve t-shirt could help.

Happiest days of senior year? Winning a scholarship, the R.T. French Award (yes, the mustard people) and the day I beat the crap out of "J" two months before high school graduation.

No surprise - this height and this weight resulted in teasing, unmercifully. The old advice "don't let them know it bothers you" or "just ignore them" hadn't worked for years of being called "Big Bird" whenever this one group of boys walked by. The ringleader was short (no surprise) and evidently had a Napoleon complex.

One day I walked past them and heard the "caw, caw, Big Bird" for the last time. I turned, raised my books over my head and SLAMMED them down on "J's" head, knocking him to the ground! Height-Momentum-Physics advantage: Me. The other guys took off, leaving their leader in a heap on the floor. I never got into trouble (only his pride was hurt) and they never made a peep to me again.

No comments: