Monday, July 02, 2007

Bran-ded

My husband may even eat these! I love Martha Stewart's Everyday Food magazine. Small enough to fit into a purse, yet packed with great recipes. I had a doctor's appointment this morning (before lunch), and by the time they called me back, I had dog-earred several pages, including this one. Good thing Randall's grocery store was right across the street so I could make these this afternoon --

Raisin Bran Muffins (page 18 from the January/February 2007 issue)

1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups raisin bran cereal
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar

Preheat oven to 400. In medium bowl, combine cereal and milk; let stand about 5 minutes until softened. In a small bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Stir oil, egg, and sugar into cereal mixture. Fold in flour mixture. Divide batter among paper cups or oiled muffin tin. Bake until toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes*. Cool in tin 5 minutes, then turn out into a wire rack; let cool completely or serve warm (I vote for warm-2 disappeared immediately). Store up to 5 days at room temperature in a resealable plastic bag.

*The recipe says it makes 6 baked at 20-25 minutes, but I was able to fill 10 cups baked at 12-14 minutes.

No comments: