Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Cooking Light - Fettuccine Alfredo with Bacon

From the January/February 2010 issue, page 26.

Fettucine Alfredo with Bacon

Funny story -- we were doing a viral Facebook status post, where you pick up the closest book and turn to page 56 and then post the 5th sentence as your status. Three of us mentioned along the way we had to move our Threads and Cooking Light issues aside on the coffee table. One person later said on page 56 in the January-February issue it mentioned this recipe on page 26. So we did our own status for tonight's dinner!

Typical as with most of my Cooking Light recipe attempts, this effort also produced a dishwasherful of pots, pans and utensils. And it always helps to prestage your ingredients - mise en place. Because once you start, you go. This recipe was no exception.

I was able to find the recommended Niman Ranch bacon on sale at Super Target for $3.69. I was happy it didn't have nitrates and I liked the taste. I'll run back there to grab a couple more packages for the freezer. And I used boxed fettucine instead of the refrigerated fresh kind, saving some more money. I thought the called-for two pieces of bacon were a bit on the stingy side. Seriously, look at website/magazine photo. Maybe my pieces were larger, but as it was, pieces were being stolen off of each other's plates during dinner. Really, two pieces of bacon total to be divy'd up for three people? Four servings as the official recipe yield?! I cooked five slices and picked the fat off, thinking the extra, if any, could be used for breakfast taquitos in the morning. Ha! The sauce wasn't super thick, but it coated the fettucine nicely. A bit labor intensive, I can see why most people would just open a jar of alfredo sauce and be done with it.

Overall it was yummy, and I would make it again. Especially if I need bacon for other recipe, this would be a nice partner meal for the leftovers.

No comments: