Saturday, August 16, 2008

Burda Young Fashion Teen 7871 - View A Dress



Well, maybe we could both wear this dress except -- L decided she didn't like it and said it felt too "old" despite the designation as a Burda Young Fashion Teen style... and I liked the style but not the fabric color/print. It might be wearable a few times with a tank or cami underneath...and maybe a pair of leggings? But with a little front tweaking, I would definitely make 7871 again for me (in a black or dark colored knit instead) as I have been on a quest for a wrap dress pattern and had given up finding one until sewing this pattern. I like how it wraps, there's a right side seam opening to thread the tie through, and how the front skirt stays securely closed. I redid the ties and added 8" to the length as the pattern size sewn was 4 sizes smaller (!) than what I wear and sew in Burda. I also like the back waist seam. It makes it fit just a bit better back there without adding bulk. Because L tops me at 6' 1" and this was originally supposed to be for her, right out of the envelope I added 1 1/2" to the sleeves, 1 1/2" above the waist to get that back waist seam to hit where it belongs, 3" below the waist and 1/2" at the hem for extra length. I didn't use piece #4, the back facing, and instead just turned under and topstitched right along with the front opening. I Stay Taped first along the neckline opening and skipped the fusible interfacing; Steam-A-Seam 2 held it all together during double-needle topstitching. This went together really fast, definitely earning Burda's 1 dot easy pattern rating.