Sunday, August 03, 2008

Burda 7967 - View B Dress


Burda 7967 has a dress (View B), plus a short-sleeved jacket (View C) and long sleeved jacket (View A). The size range is 10-22 (36-48), so it will fit and flatter just about all sizes. I liked the shirt-dress with the longer elbow-length sleeves and fold-back cuffs, which I'm glad to report prevented flashbacks to the pink (!) summer uniform shirt dress of Cardinal Mooney High School..or looking like a waitress.

I did my usual tallie girl alterations -- adding 1 1/2" above the waist, moving the bust dart upwards 1.5 cm, adding 1" to the sleeve length and 1 1/2" to the bottom edge. These numbers seem to work for all the current Burda patterns, they are consistent from pattern to pattern, style to style. So once you know what works for you, no more worries.
The dress called for 15 buttons, spaced 1 1/2 inches apart. It looked a little too button-intense, so I spaced out 14 buttons 2" apart. Much better!
The buttons are actually recycled from a $1 thrift store dress. It was long sleeved and buttoned from collar to hem - a great harvest op! I'll check out the bargain racks not for the clothes, but for the buttons and trim. Even at retail stores - Kohl's has these incredible end of season 60-90% off markdown sales and I confess I was tempted by a Size 2 Petite jacket just for the buttons...and the look on the clerk's face!

This is a one-dot Burda Easy pattern with three great wardrobe options. With some neat fabric, you can have a lot of fun with them through the seasons. I'm eyeing that View A jacket with the drawstring waist and sleeve hems for whenever it cools down here, or maybe View C with View A's longer sleeves, or maybe even View C for the interim. . .?