Wednesday, October 26, 2016

How do you like them apples? Part 2

And here is a view of the branches of an autumn crabapple tree in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
Autumn Santa Fe Crabapple Tree
Watercolor
12" x 18 1/2"
This was fun skill-building and patience-building to paint.  First a wash of Winsor-Newton Blue (Green), then layers of Auerolin and more yellows, mixing greens, Alizarin for the apples with more glazing of additional reds, and finally, finally the sepia, burnt umber, cobalt blue to create warm branches.  I had to redraw my branches figuratively and creatively, for I was having too much fun making all the different leaves and leaf shapes and background.

I also gave myself points for painting bigger -- this is 12" x 18 1/2"

I really like how the variety of colors played nicely together,  pushed forward and back, and the assortment of shapes.

My paper is  always up and ready for another pitch - of paint with brush in hand.



No comments: