Sunday, February 28, 2016

Sunday Sketchbook - Quinacridone Gold

Playing around with different brands of same color today.   I had read that Quin Gold makes pretty greens when combined with different blues, and decided to give it a try.  I am learning along the way that mixing your own greens and using different greens makes your paintings more interesting.
So be the case more with the Winsor & Newton Quinacridone Gold  

I used Indigo, Cobalt Blue, Cobalt Teal (Qor), and Cerulean to drop in and mix.
Coinquindink


I give the paintbrush point to WN on the right..   I could definitely see some pretty greens for leaves and foliage with this.  The Qor looked less realistic and had more temperamental and unreliable effects.

I like how someone mentioned that Quin Gold reminded them of the 1970's Harvest Gold.  It does, doesn't it?  Especially the Winsor & Newton!

I'm starting to pay more attention to the Pigment colors versus the names --

Winsor & Newton Quinacridone Gold is PR206, PV19, PY150
Qor Quinacridone Gold is PO48, PY150

I attended a demo workshop with Hilary Page, who knows her watercolor paints and colors - wow!
I will have a more detailed post about that later and will come back here to edit and include the link.  But basically the takeaway is that not all color names (and pigment colors used) are the same.

No comments: