Saturday, July 16, 2011

Good Egg Peg




My Dad would always say, "You're a good egg, Peg!"

And now after all these years, I finally can boil an egg!

The back page of the July 2011 issue of Cooking Light covers Mistake #34 "Your Hard-Cooked Eggs are Icky" Their direction correction clicked and worked for me. I had already done the first step all along -- placing the eggs in the saucepan filled with water and then bring to a boil, and then removing from the heat and letting it stand. It was the part afterwards, which always threw me for a loop. Different sources said different times. Cooking Light says 10 minutes and then run under cold water. But I'm in the throws of a hot Texas summer, and that cold water faucet gives you lukewarm water at best, no matter how long you run it. Their suggestion of putting it in an ice water bath - I just drained, refilled the water and added ice - cooled them ricky-ick. For the first time, I had that pretty yellow hardboiled egg!

1 comment:

Monica said...

I never put them in and bring to the boil. I make them the Julia way and how my family makes them. Add to boiling water for 5 mins for soft eggs then, leave the others in the pan with heat off then let cool finally refrigerate. we have a soft boiled egg for brekkie on Sat.