Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Vogue 2989 - View D Skirt

Vogue 2989 is now out-of-print, but I was able to find it for only $1 in High Fashion Fabrics's discontinued patterns table last weekend. The View D skirt caught my eye. You hardly notice it in the pattern photo, but you can definitely see the stylishness in the line drawing --










I was glad I checked the reviews of this cute skirt first (thank you, Sharon!) -- so I knew I would definitely have to lengthen (4 1/2 inches to reach a finished 25" length!) and probably go up a size. But it was well worth the extra steps, as I have already made this skirt twice!

Here's the first version, a plaid double-knit from the stash, originally a $1/yard Wal-Mart wonder. Not enough stretch for a top (alas, I tried), but just enough for this skirt.

The second one is a nice double-knit ("Black Sophia Double Knit") from High Fashion Fabrics in Houston.

It sews together so quickly, just two pleats on the offset center front seam, sides seams and what I call the Kwik Sew method elastic waistband - serge-attaching the elastic to the inside of the waistband, folding over and topstitching. You are done and out the sewing room door in less than one hour.
With the extra length (and width) needed, the modified yardage is now 1 3/4 yards for 60" (actually 1 1/2, but with knits I usually get a little extra in case of shrinkage and layout options) ...and 2 1/4 yards for 45" I'm hoping to try it in a woven with a little Lycra. Wouldn't this make a cute summer skirt?
A fashionable bonus alternative wearing this skirt -- move the pleated front seam to the side! It looks nicer and less busy in the front when I wear it with the Sandra Betzina 1164 top.

As this pattern was just recently discontinued, you may still be able to find this online or in your pattern stash. I love discovering and sewing hidden gems in these wardrobe patterns!

1 comment:

Monica said...

Peggy that sure looks good on tall girls we shorties end up with sort of "forever pregnant" look. The fold just falls in the wrong place.