Friday, July 25, 2008

Burda 7925 - View B Top - Finished!


Better grab 7925 from the Burda drawers at Jo-Ann's while you can...I can't find it on the Burda website. That probably increases the odds it may not be in the new Fall/Winter Burda catalog? Which should be coming out soon, I hope. L and I have pretty much mined the current one.
View B is a cute top that doesn't look as dorky as shown on the envelope. I really bought this pattern for the pants, the top is bonus. I automatically added the 1-1/2 inches at the above the waist adjustment line, and then all the inches to the the View A below the waist adjustment line, to make sure my options are still open to not expose my midriff when I raise my arms, or go "Brady Bunch"-y and turn it into more of a 70's style tunic top. I slightly trimmed down the neckline a little lower than the 3/8" called for in the instructions just because it looked so high in the photo. I also had to redirect the bust darts upwards 1.5 cm. (three cheers for Chantelle! and Internet sales!) The neckline and armhole edges are finished with contrast bias. There's two long waistline back darts and 18" zipper closure.

Next time Jo-Ann's has 50% off notions, I'm stocking up on 14"-16"-18" zippers. This has been the Summer of Burda and long zippers!


I ended up keeping the extra length (8 1/4"), adding 4" side slits and topstitching a 1 1/4" hem allowance. The top looks cuter paired with capris or pants instead of a skirt. Add some long bead necklaces and you are transported back to the 70's. The fabric was a retro-looking floral cream/black/brown linen from Jo-Ann's, trimmed with the black linen leftover from the Burda 7965 split skirt. Jo-Ann's just Red-Tagged all their leftover linen bolts, so you may still be able to find it there at your store. 7925 definitely has the potential to play nicely with other styling and designing changes. The fit really is flattering -- it is just difficult to photograph it well as evidenced by me and the pattern envelope!