Thursday, July 03, 2008

16+ hours without air conditioning

According to my A/C diagnostic skills, I think it is the thermostat. Let me rephrase, I HOPE it is the thermostat. It won't turn on the A/C or the fan. I didn't try the heat setting, gosh forbid it should get stuck on that. Taking the cover off and blowing away the dust (dust?!) didn't help, either. I checked outside and there wasn't any ice on the outside equipment. And I re-tripped the circuit breaker hoping to spring it to life. Nope. That's about the limit of my HVAC license. It happened around 7 last night, the house was already pretty cooled by then so sleeping wasn't that uncomfortable. T went to work and L and I lasted until 11:30 this morning when the meat thermometer read 83. (Final temp when we got back in the afternoon? 88.6!) Some of you are thinking, "a meat thermometer?" and "Well, boo-hoo to you" - but the saying, "it's not the heat it's the humidity" is truth for this part of the country. Just check the Accu-Weather widget, it may say 86, but Real Feel says 102. Feel it, believe it.
We await the phone call from the repair guy and the shushing from the librarian at the library. Thank goodness for Wi-Fi and lots of books and magazines. There are worse places to wile away a hot afternoon. Like inside our house with the meat thermometer on the bookcase...

Update: It was the self destruction of the control board and a blown fuse. Thermostat was fine. Cost of getting the a/c repaired before a three-day weekend? Priceless! I had the blank check ready...