Thursday, July 17, 2008

Burda 7808 - View A Dress


Love, LOVE Burda 7808! Definitely a sleeper-hit pattern. At first I was afraid it would look a little too FLDS-y, but it is actually quite cool to wear (temperature and style-wise). Especially in a gray/cream linen mini-stripe. I'll have fun accessorizing.
Like some of the other Burda patterns in the 2008 Spring/Summer catalog, this calls for a side zipper. Yes you do need it this time; I tried. All I had was a 14" instead of the suggested 16" and it worked just fine. Most figures will be able to sew it right out of the envelope. There are plenty of adjustment lines, though. Two above the waist (above and below the bustline), and one below the waist. I was a little concerned about the inset not hitting flatteringly, so I added 1 1/4" below the bust and 1 1/2" below the waist to get the look length shown on the model.
Nice to also note the insert is not just an ordinary piece, but actually curves and incorporates a slight princess seam, both front and back. The tie back is not cutesy 80's, just a nice, almost minimalist square knot length.

Slightly extended shoulder seams, the sleeve slips right into place easily.

The sleeves are not gathered all the way around into the cuff. You can tell in the pattern photo it is set straight in near the underarm seam, but gathered the heck close to the placket opening. Emphasis on the heck in the gathering. I pulled those threads all the way and still ended up pleating just a little bit to get it to fit. This interesting style keeps a nice straight line close to the body and gives a little fun poof to the outside.

I loved the collar and clean finishing inside.

I plan to turn right around and make this again, the sleeveless View B and pockets, only with the collar. In the sewing process for View A, I tried it on with one sleeve in and liked how it looked sleeveless with the collar on me.

There's still some summer-time to grab, sew and wear 7808. With the right colors and fabric, the View B could even take you into fall.