Thursday, March 08, 2012

Thursday Tea Time


This week - Pukka Green Chai Tea
Cost: $6.99 at Whole Foods/Bellaire location
(I'm really starting to think this particular store carries more interesting and diverse teas. And as I digress - yogurts for that matter, too. Perhaps because of where it is located.)
Number of teabags: 20
Caffeine: A little
Type of tea: Green
Steeping time: Per label 5 minutes, I did 6
Add ins: By itself or with a little splash of fat free half and half, no other sweetener!
Teabag fragrance: Anise and cinnamon
Ingredients: Cinnamon bark, ginger root, licorice root, green tea, star anise and cardamon seed. All organic and Fairtrade
Opinion: I love chai teas in the cooler months and on rainy days. As evidenced by I've lost track how many chai's I've reviewed. Some good, some bad. This is one of the great ones. I always feel chai-cheated when they include black pepper in the ingredients. If that makes it more authentic, so be it. But I feel it is a cheap filler shortcut to spicy. If I see black pepper listed, I now put it back on the shelf unless it is a name brand tea or it has a cool looking box. (Yes, and I used to work in advertising, too.) This, I am happy to say, does not have pepper in it and it is an interesting box. In fact, I am running out of this box already. If you like cinnamon tea, you will love this. If you like licorice, ginger, cardamon - ditto. I especially like that fact this tastes good as is. And I can save a carb serving by not needed to add any sweetener. Plus it's a green tea, too -- Bonus x2! Lately if I've been using one of my larger mugs, as I do with this one because I practically guzzle it, I will use two teabags to get even more of a spicy kick. Of course, that means running back to the store to get more. And then finding more teas. It never ends!
Rating: 5

No comments: