Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Threading Your Viking Husqvarna 1100 - Bobbin Winding

There are two ways to wind your bobbin on the Viking Husqvarna 1100.  And with the 1100, Viking began the concave plastic bobbins, so it is now foolproof to wind your bobbin and insert into the bobbin case correctly!  When you insert the empty bobbin on the winder, make sure the concave curve of the bobbin curves into (hugs) the sewing machine.  (Think "Bobbin Love")

Depending where you are in your project, you can wind your bobbin and not unthread the machine! The one part of the instructions I don't follow is to keep the needle threaded.  I tried that once.   I feel the needle eye can cause the thread to shred and gives it unnecessary tension if you like to wind fast.   It can also bend the needle.  I know, I should slow down.  And perhaps wind a few extra bobbins in the beginning.

The 1100 also has an extra thread spindle, which I like to use with the second option.  Especially if I am running out of thread on one spool and have set it aside specifically for bobbin winding or hand sewing.  I don't have to unthread just to wind the remaining bit on the spool.    Raise your hand if you are sewing the very last two inches of a seam or hem and that's when you run out!  Ignoring the beep-beep the 1100 sounds as you get toward the end of the bobbin.  Of course, it won't beep-beep if you didn't clean your machine after your last project and lint is blocking the sensor…live on the edge, sew off the edge!

(For those of you landing on this post first, here is the link to my post on how to thread your Husqvarna Viking 1100 sewing machine.)

Husqvarna Viking 1100 Front (machine remains threaded)
Bobbin Winding thread layout

Viking Husqvarna 1100 Side Winding or Direct Winding
 Bobbin Thread Layout








This is good to know for older Viking Husqvarna's,
even if you don't use the concave bobbins

Haha!
Good luck gambling with Murphy's Law on how far you can sew!

Update 9-28-16 --

Here are photos of the Viking Husqvarna 1100 one-sided concave bobbins.  The pink threaded bobbin is an aftermarket replacement bobbin, which works just as well as the green threaded bobbin (see the "H" imprint on the convex side.)







Concave side

I was able to find them on eBay several years ago.   If you were to place the bobbin standing up, with the "H" on the right, you will see the right side of the bobbin is convex and the left side of the bobbin is concave.
Concave left side, convex right side

I hope the photographs will indicate this well.  It will be obvious when you are looking at and comparing them to the ordinary typical bobbins.  ONLY THE CONCAVE BOBBINS WILL FIT in the Husqvarna Viking 1100.  The bobbins are inserted concave side into the bobbin holder.  Or if you have the original "H" marked bobbins, insert so the H faces you.

Bonus information!  If you decide you need to fiddle with the bobbin thread tension control when doing some off the seam decorative stitching. . .the best advice I received was to purchase an extra bobbin case.  And mark it with nail polish so you don't get it mixed up.
I have never, ever had to adjust the bobbin tension on my 1100.  And I realize once you start messing with screws, you either lose them or lose the tightness/factory settings.  Then you are screwed, if that was your only case.
If you want to do bobbin work with decorative threads, you will need to loosen that bobbin case tension.  There are two screws on the 1100 bobbin case.  The one you need to adjust is the one closest to the thread, or the largest one.  Play in 1/4 increments, turning the screw no more at a time.  And have fun!
Do you know you can use up to 4-ply yarn in your bobbin??   Now you do!
If you can wind it by hand and thread it through the throat plate, you can sew with it!

9 comments:

Rebecca said...

Thank you! I inherited this machine with no manual and was having trouble figuring out the bobbin winding, ~ Rebecca

Peggy said...

You are welcome! I love how there are two ways to wind and it is basically foolproof to make sure the bobbin is inserted correctly. You can also use your finger to help guide the winding thread evenly across the bobbin. Another tip is to wind two bobbins for each project. They don't hold a lot of thread.

Nora said...

I am so (SEW) excited to find a blog containing information about a Viking 1100. I bought mine used about ten years ago and love it! Now days I do mostly quilt piecing and some free motion quilting (I'm awful at it). I've cleaned mine with Q-tips, like you recommended, and with a teeny-weeny vacuum cleaner. Right now my foot control pedal is acting up. It's probably full of thread, fabric scraps, and cat hair. I need to figure out how to take it apart. Any hints? Thanks.

Peggy said...

Hi Nora! I've never taken apart my foot control. You may want to unplug it and check the connections and cord itself, including the plug to the sewing machine. Sometimes if you leave it plugged into the machine, not the outlet - don't do that because of power surges and spikes! - lint and dust can build up in the the plug openings. Make sure your plug is disconnected from the electrical outlet. I always leave my machine/surge protector unplugged when I am not using it. Practice safe sewing machining, lol! You do know that there are two speeds on your foot pedal, right? Check out some videos to see how some people sew with both feet to help control the speeds. Perhaps you are stepping on the "slow" side?

Nora said...

Thank you for getting back to me. I took my foot control apart last evening. I did not see anything obvious that would be causing it to behave in a jerky manner. Checked the connections--they all seem fine. I guess it could be the motor in the foot control going "bad" after all these years. Who knows. Regarding two speeds: My foot control is white. The insides were very simple: a spring loaded cord winder and only one "lever" to control the speed. Maybe the black one is different?

Peggy said...

Hi Nora! Mine is white, too! I would suggest playing around with your foot/feet placement to see where they need to be. It could be the spring tension. There's enough pedal "real estate" that you should be able to find a sweet spot.

M said...

I recently dug my Viking 1100 out of a dusty cupboard with the intent to see again (many family members having babies atm). To my dismay I realised that I did not have any bobbins at all (I have the case). I have also lost the manual. What I would like to know is does the bobbin have a specific code or ID number that I can ask for in a haberdashery (before I drive all the way bcos there isn't any close by). Where I did go only had flat not concave also. And I can't remember what it exactly looks like either so could someone upload an image for me????... Thank you, I will most likely have many more questions to ask in the next few months :)

Gab

M said...

I recently dug my Viking 1100 out of a dusty cupboard with the intent to see again (many family members having babies atm). To my dismay I realised that I did not have any bobbins at all (I have the case). I have also lost the manual. What I would like to know is does the bobbin have a specific code or ID number that I can ask for in a haberdashery (before I drive all the way bcos there isn't any close by). Where I did go only had flat not concave also. And I can't remember what it exactly looks like either so could someone upload an image for me????... Thank you, I will most likely have many more questions to ask in the next few months :)

Gab

Peggy said...

I hope this helps, Gabe - I updated both posts in hopes you will see one or both. Best of luck and enjoy your 1100!