Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Threading Your Viking Husqvarna 1100

I bought my Viking 1100 in 1989, when it was considered top-of-the-line.  I've had and used it all these  years without any problems other than a couple of tune-ups/cleaning.  This was the last machine Viking Husqvarna produced before they went full-tilt into embroidering sewing machines, beginning with the #1 and #1 Plus (#1+).  The 1100 is a gem and apparently there are still quite a few used machines  popping up.  Grab one if you find one.  I adore mine.

Anyways a few years ago, I sung my machine's praises on a sewing machine meme on the Sew Mama Sew website.  Here is the link to my June 7, 2009 blog post.

Fortunately because it is very user-friendly, it is unfortunate the 1100 had a small, slim instruction book-let...which the odds of it still being with the machine if you find it used, are pretty remote.  However, there are a couple of solutions.

One, I took pictures of my threaded machine so you can see how simple it is.

Two, there are two books you may still be able to find, written for Viking Husqvarna sewing machines.    Check Amazon (Amazon currently has several used copies of both, starting at 1 cent!  One penny!  The shipping in the US is around $3.99),  eBay or your library, which can also do an Inter-Library Loan if they do not have it on their shelves.  This was a great series of books in the late 80's/early 90's.  I had friends even snap up the other machine books because they were so well-written and had such a great presentation of learning to have fun with your sewing machine, of any brand.

A Step-By-Step Guide toYour Viking
By Jan Saunders

The better of the two is "A Step By Step Guide to Your Viking" by Jan Saunders.  It has a photo of the 1100 on the cover.  If you have the 1100 or even the #1 or #1+, you will have fun with this book as your machine's companion.  Published by Chilton Book Company, 1991.  The ISBN is 0-8019-8014-3  Library Call No. 646.2    244 pages, paperback.  Not only does it have cool projects, but it is the definitive book on all the stitches on your cassettes from A-D.  (Husqvarna Viking subsequently updated the 1100 with two more most interesting stitch cassettes (eyes -F21 & F22 and a mouth -F23 to use on doll faces!), the E and F, before focusing on the #1+ and thereafter machines.)  And the standard and also most of the cool specialty presser feet for the 1100 and its 900 series predecessor.

Know Your Viking
By Jackie Dodson with Jan Saunders

And if you happen to have found a 900 series Viking Husqvarna, particularly the 990 which came out before the 1100  (I had the 940 before I traded it in for the 1100), you'll want to try and find "Know Your Viking" by Jackie Dodson with Jan Saunders.  Also published by Chilton in 1988, ISBN: 0-8019-7870-X  194 pages, paperback. More fun projects and tricks.  This book really helps explain how to design and use Pictograms.  You will want and need to look for this one, too!

Threading your Viking 1100 is easy -- the only hole you need to thread is the needle eye!  The process is all glide and slide.

I may even try to do a iPhone video later, and you can see how fast and easy it is to thread your Husqvarna Viking 1100!

I have a separate post next about winding your bobbin.  

My machine likes the thread coming from the back of the spool
and in the horizontal position
Different thread brands may flow better off the spool if it is upright



First thread guide-it just slides right around and in
Side view
See?  It catches and goes right in.


I usually place my thread  in the thread guide to the right
But if you are using two threads, put one on either side!
The thread also slides easily into the take-up lever seen on the left

Slides right into the check-spring, too

I like to put my spool and bobbin threads up and out of the way
They are actually being held by the side thread cutter!

This is from the Step-By-Step Guide to Your Viking

From the 1100 manual

From the 1100 manual

























Update May 14,  2016 - How to sew in reverse



The 1100 does sew in reverse and you can program it to also do so.  See the upside down U with the arrow pointing down next to the buttonhole symbol?  You can hold that and it will go in reverse.  These two symbol buttons are also used to make your own customized button holes and program them to repeat.  (to create standardized  button holes, use your A card)  However -- you can also utilize this feature to create a permanent reverse stitching no matter which stitch you are using (as long as the machine is on and until you tap out) by pushing that upside down U/arrow button twice.

Update 9-28-16 --

Here are photos of the Viking Husqvarna 1100 one-sided concave bobbins.  The pink threaded bobbin is an aftermarket replacement bobbin, which works just as well as the green threaded bobbin (see the "H" imprint on the convex side.)
Aftermarket bobbin on left (pink)
Original Viking Husqvarna 1100 bobbin on right (green)
See the H inside the  crown at the top
This is the convex/rounded out side


Concave side up
I was able to find them on eBay several years ago.   If you were to place the bobbin standing up, with the "H" on the right, you will see the right side of the bobbin is convex and the left side of the bobbin is concave.
Concave left side, Convex right side
I hope the photographs will indicate this well.  It will be obvious when you are looking at and comparing them to the ordinary typical bobbins. You can also feel it with your finger.  ONLY THE CONCAVE BOBBINS WILL FIT in the Husqvarna Viking 1100.  The bobbins are inserted concave side into the bobbin holder.  Or if you have the original "H" marked bobbins, insert so the H faces you.

UPDATE April 17, 2017
Someone had asked what the plug and power cords looked like.  The outlets are on the lower right side of the machine underneath the bobbin winder.

On the left is the plug/cord for the foot pedal, on the right is the plug cord for the power.



Smaller one is the foot pedal
the one on the right is for the power


This is for the US model.  I hope this helps!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi- I have a VH1100 & cannot figure out how to do free-motion machine stitching. I know which button lowers the feed dogs (has teeth on it) but once I lower them it won't let me sew with out lowering the presser foot. It just beeps. I don't think I have one of those feet with the loop/circle at the end that you see people using. Do you need that? (I got my machine used & that foot isn't there). Thank you for any info you can supply. Great photos & blog. :)

Peggy said...

While that spring/darning foot is nice (and optional - it was not part of the original set of feet, don't worry!), you can do free motion stitching without it. Yes, you do have to override and lower the presser foot to get your 1100 to sew. However, you can pop that presser foot off == still lowering the presser foot == and just stitch away! I do have that foot - it is helpful with certain fabrics. But more times than not, I just sewed "footless" I thought Nancy Zieman had great instructions/videos back in the day for free-motion embroidery. As did Robbie Fanning. Check Google or YouTube for demos. Sometimes actually seeing it "in motion" can be very helpful. Good luck and have fun. I think you will be surprised that you don't need a fancy embroidery machine to achieve very creative results. P.S. Please keep your fingers away from the needle. My thumb got in the way and the needle hit it and broke off...inside my thumb! : x
I had to have surgery to get it out.

Amanda said...

This was very helpful, thank you!
You wouldn't be able to post a tutorial on how to clean it? I just got mine and it's my first time with a husqvarna and a computerized machine. It was given to me by my grandmother though so it's quite dirty...
Greetings,
Amanda

Peggy said...

Hi Amanda! Thank you for your nice comment.
And congratulations on your new machine. I know you will absolutely love it and create sew many beautiful things and memories.

I would recommend taking it to a Husqvarna Viking dealer for a thorough cleaning and tune up. IT will be money well spent.

Once that is done, all you will need to do is very minor housekeeping to keep you and your machine happy.

If you find your bobbin empty indicator/beeper is not working, you may need to clean the lint from the bobbin shuttle area. That is really the only part of the machine that I clean. Or we should clean. Honestly, I have only had it professionally cleaned and tuned-up by my dealer twice maybe since I purchased it. This machine is a champ!

However, I do have some advice for cleaning the bobbin/feeddog area.

First, a magnetic screwdriver will help. Do I follow this and have one, no. It would make this all easier, however. : D

That being aside, follow along with me here!

1) disconnect the power cords, both from the machine and the outlet.

2) drop the feeddogs and wiggle the stitch plate up and back to remove.

3) look inside and exclaim your favorite four-letter word. All that lint! Bits of thread! This is what is blocking the light from above going through the stitch plate opening to the bobbin sensor.

4) I use a couple/several Q-tips to grab the lint I can see.

At this point, this is what you should try to do after each sewing project. Or even every time you change your needle. This may be enough to get your bobbin indicator working again.

However, depending how often you use your machine, you need to be able to reach a bit further to grab the other bits of fuzz.

5) Tip your machine back. I lean it against something soft so it is secure.

6) Remove the bobbin case

7) See any lint? Take a moment to Q-tip that away.

8) Take a picture of how everything looks.

9) Now remove the screws. Keep the left one left and the right one right.

10) Now remove the shuttle assembly, aha! More lint! Q-tip that away.

11) Just like the Q-tip package and your Momma says, do not blindingly jab the Q-tip around...or squirt pressurized air. That can only push it further away and end up costing you mental and fiscal anguish later.

12) Reassemble the shuttle, re-screw the screws. I suggest evenly/alternating screwing them back in -- left, right, left, right. Now iIf you find the screws don't sit all the way back in, loosen and start again. But perhaps jiggling the assembly a little so the screw sits straight and true into the hole. Do not over tighten. Refer back to your photo to see how far they sat in.

13) Put a little drop of oil on the bobbin pin and replace the bobbin case.

14) Right up your machine.

15) Replace your stitch plate

16) Re-engage your feeddogs.

17) Power up and sew on!

Best regards,
Peggy

Anonymous said...

Has anyone got a spare cassette A for the button holes, there are a few button hole pattern on it that I would like. Thanks my name is Shirley

Marco said...

Hello,

I just wanted to know if the Viking 1100 stitches in reverse, if so does it stay in reverse until you wish to stop or does it just do a couple of stitches? I am asking for a friend who wished to purchase one she has seen and this function is important, many thanks!

M

Peggy said...

Hello Marco! Yes, the 1100 does sew in reverse and you can program it to also do so. See the upside down U with the arrow pointing down next to the buttonhole symbol? You can hold that and it will go in reverse. (I will edit and add the photo at the end of my original post) These two symbol buttons are also used to make your own customized button holes and program them to repeat. However -- you can also utilize this feature to create a permanent reverse (as long as the machine is on and until you tap out) by pushing that upside down U/arrow button twice. Thank you for writing and good sewing!

Louisa said...

When I use the bobbin threading my machine will not sew. Power is on press the foot pedal and nothing. I cleaned out all the lent re threaded and still will not run.....help

Peggy said...

Hi Louisa! I am posting your comment in case someone who is repair knowledgeable can help you. Are you having difficulty winding the bobbin or sewing?

Louisa said...

Hi, had my machine serviced and was told my foot pedal was bad. So a new was purchased,, bring the machine home started sewing
, ran out of bobbin thread. Proceed tore thread the empty bobbin, put bobbin on the shaft to refil and does not work. Again power goes to the machine but does not work. I replaced the bobbin with another that had thread hoping the machine would sew, but no. Called the repair center and was told to bring it back. Honestly I think it has something to do with the retreading of the bobbin. Now I am wondering if the oringial foot control was bad. Anyone else experiencing this.......

Again no happy sewing, Louisa

Peggy said...

I'm sorry you are still having problems, Louisa : ( Is this an authorized Viking/Husqvarna dealer you are working with for repairs? You may want to call the company and see what they suggest. It may even be something as simple as replacing the power cord itself - the one connecting the machine to the power outlet. Depending if you live in a small town or large city, you may want to find another repair person/Viking dealer for help. Good luck and keep us posted! Others may be having the same issue, too.

M said...

Could u upload an image of a vh bobbin or an ID code that I could ask the shop person if they have as it is a long drive to nearest suppliers. If I order on internet I want to make sure I get the right bobbin. (I have the case still).

Peggy said...

I hope this helps, Gabe - I updated both posts in hopes you will see one or both. Best of luck and enjoy your 1100!

Genevive said...

Thank you so much for this tutorial. I too have inherited this machine without the manual and your posts have helped me a great deal! I was wondering if you happen to know how to thread the machine for twin needles? I can't seem to figure it out..

Peggy said...

Hi Genevive! The 1100 handles a twin (even triple) needles like a champ! Pull up the extra thread spindle on top of the machine. Put each spool of thread going in opposite directions (one spinning clock wise, the other counter clock wise. When you get to the tension discs - one thread on each side. Then treat as one thread until you get to the needles and thread each one. I found it easiest to thread one spool at a time to avoid unnecessary twisting. When you are sewing, don't go too fast, nor too slow. A nice even foot pedal pressure. If you have a thread lubricant (silicone), run a thin line vertically down each spool before threading. It helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. And enjoy your 1100. Mine is still going strong after almost 30 years! This model is a gem!

Anonymous said...

I have a Viking 1100 that does not have a power supply. It has a 9 prong connection under the machine. What do I look for? Can someone send me a picture?

Peggy said...

I will update the post with photos!

Woodworker Wannabe said...

Hi all;
My Mom passed away and am selling off some of her estate. She has an HV1100. I have 3-4 people who have shown interest in purchasing the machine. I have no idea what to ask for. I want it to be reasonable. I also woould like it to go to a good home... any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks Rex

Peggy said...

My condolences to your family. You may want to check with a Husqvarna dealer to see what a good price would be. They may even buy it from you, saving you the trouble of listing and shipping. You can also check eBay to see what it is getting on the current market. Best of luck and happy sewing to the lucky recipient.