Saturday, June 01, 2013

My Quilt Block For Boston Adventure

First, let me add the disclaimer, I am not a quilter.
( I may not have needed to add that once you keep reading)
I covered the Quilt Market for the media, I attended the Quilt Festival over the years, I hang out with uber creative friends…something had to rub off and make my brain and sewing machine needle click, right?

OK, here goes!

The Boston Modern Quilt Guild's Quilts for Boston relief effort chose the colors of the Boston Marathon -- blue, yellow, gray and white.

My original idea of doing something Texas-y would have to be modified.
No Texas flag (no red),
no bluebonnets (no green).

And lately I had been seeing yellow everywhere. . .


Inspiration
Peeps!
 - even the logo lettering is blue!

Tory Burch "Chelsea" shoes -
"Daisy" yellow
My new Gap scarf I wore with a blue dress,
which don't you think would look great with the Chelsea shoes?!
I think so, but dream on…!

Daisies

Turnera from my garden

This pretty angel I saw in a shop window in Phoenix
(Shout out to "A Peace of the Universe")















So I wanted to include yellow for sure.  And blue.
(Let's pause to imagine those Tory Burch shoes on my feetsies, sigh. OK)

Throw down


Assorted fabrics and swatches I collected over the years from Houston Quilt Markets and Festivals.  I cut the star out of the Texas flag fabric.

So sew!

I just began placing and piecing the fabrics together.  I call it "crazy patching"  Not quite crazy quilting, not quite Log Cabin.  Looking good so far!

Whoops!

Hacky-whacky
Wrong shape!   At this point I put down the rotary cutter and backed away from the cutting table.

Back in the sewing machine saddle again. . .

I started sewing the smaller pieces together to make bigger pieces to square everything up.

The Gulf of Mexico
  I thought the scalloped part of the lace looked like waves coming onto the beach.
Blue Bonnets are o'er the border
(Click to play the song!)
And this embroidery - Texas' State Flower - the bluebonnets.  
Actually this is the fabric I used to make my daughter's blouse for her school's Scottish Festival.
(You'll love the King of Laois song, too!)

The finish seam!


A sincere and heart-felt effort for a great cause!

If you would like more information about and/or to make a contribution to the One Fund, click here


1 comment:

becki-c said...

Beautiful, love the colors.
This is so sweet of you.