|They taste as good as they look!|
Seriously, the recipes in Southern Living magazine alone are well worth above and beyond the subscription price to this magazine, even if you don't live in the South! And their November and December issues are jam-packed with holiday decorating ideas and even more recipes! Here's another one that knocked it out of the park.
I used the Kroger brand of graham crackers. Would you believe not only were they a $1 cheaper than the Honey Maid Low Fat version, but also had less calories, carbs and fat?! It pays to compare and read the labels. While still yummy, I found these a little bit gooey. My pan was a few inches short of the size specified and I think that made it a little bit thicker. I will try it again in my larger jelly roll pan, bonus it will make more to share!
Salted Caramel Pecan Bars, with the chocolate twist option!
Southern Living, December 2010
1 cup chopped pecans
12 whole graham crackers
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 10 to 12 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.
2. Line a 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan with aluminum foil; lightly grease foil.
(Use the Reynold's Release aluminum foil and skip this step.)
Arrange graham crackers in a single layer in prepared pan, slightly overlapping edges.
3. Combine sugar, butter, and cream in a medium-size heavy saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla and pecans. Pour butter mixture over crackers, spreading to coat.
4. Bake at 350° for 10 to 11 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.
5. Immediately sprinkle with salt, and slide foil from pan onto a wire rack. Cool completely (about 30 minutes). Break into bars.
Try This Twist!
Chocolate-Pecan-Caramel Bars: Prepare recipe as directed through Step 4. Top warm bars with 1 cup dark chocolate morsels. Let stand 3 minutes, and spread chocolate over bars. Proceed with recipe as directed in Step 5.