Saturday, November 05, 2011

Sandra Betzina's Fashion Forecast - Fall/Winter

Just the other day I was wondering where Sandra's Fashion Forecast was, and today this appears in my email inbox --

So where is the fashion forecast this season? With few exceptions, when I look at women on the street, in shopping malls, attending sewing fairs, I have concluded that most women in the United States over 40 have simply given up. They grab the biggest most comfy items they own and head out for the day. If you are one of the few women who still cares what they look like, have an interest in fashion and love to sew; there is plenty of information out there, in fashion magazines and online. European fashion magazines are great sources for color combinations, details and silhouettes. This season, I am excited about combining leather with knits, woven fabrics with knits. Big chunky bracelets and necklaces are already in my wardrobe, so I will be wearing those. Tall well made boots are always in fashion. Make some tops and dresses with big cowl necks Vogue 1197, tunic length with the best pair of skinny pull on pants I have designed. Dresses and skirts with draped sections still look new: Vogue 1234 and Vogue 1210, blouses and knit tops with sheered sections Vogue 1275 and Vogue 1260. All patterns mentioned were designed by me and are in the Vogue book under the Today’s Fit tab. Take your time when you sew, enjoying every moment of the process. While I continue to design patterns for Vogue and teach classes, this will conclude many years writing the twice yearly fashion forecasts. If we have your e-mail, we will let you know about the just realized Today’s Fit patterns and new WebTV show topics, filmed by Ron Collins and myself. We are in the process of updating our website once again. Fondly, Sandra

Well, pooh! I always looked forward to Sandra's spot-on fashion, fabric and pattern combination advice (I still have her forecasts from the 80's!). Maybe she was just in a bad mood. . .?

Comments?
I know that personally I try to make an honest effort to look good when going out in public, and reasonably well/yet comfy when at home -- you never know when you'll need to make a mad dash out of the house. And isn't that inevitably the time you will run into someone from your past or someone you know? I am also the first to admit the manager and clerks at J.Jill either recognize or know me by name. They do have great sales and clothes, great in a pinch when you don't have time to sew. And sometimes yes, it is cheaper to buy them than to sew them. That helps save me the time and money to sew something really special when I get the chance.

So dear Sandra, please rethink and don't give up on us. I consider you a role model, both fashion and sewing wise.

5 comments:

Peggy L said...

I'm with you! I have always enjoyer her "forecasts" and I haven't given up:) I don't sew everything I make but have made several of the patterns she mentioned.

Monica said...

her audience has aged and her style was always very formal. it is really out of fashion. The mix match of clothes is very hard to design. many of the women in the age group she attracts are overweight and no amount of fit will compensate. Of course I am guilty of running out and wear my retiree uniform, short in summer pants in winter. Chico's makes enough small sizes and why hassle making them. it is also very hard to find decent fabric unless you live in NYC, LA or SF, Chicago has a few good stores and then there is the price of fabric up over $2.00 per yard this year.

Peggy said...

True. When the stores offer ready made clothes more suited to our "over 40" lifestyles and yes, shape, it is easier and more affordable to just buy them. Throw in some sales and coupons and you would be crazy not to. Our fabric options are also becoming more limited unless you buy online. Then you have to factor in shipping, time/gratification delay, and cost. While we still want to embrace our creativity, we are finding new ways to do so - different art and medium classes, creative journaling, online swaps, ATC cards. We can still find and play and enhance our lifestyle with fabric and textures, sadly though, not in clothing as much anynore.

Peggy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peggy said...

Fortunately, there are still groups dedicated to fashion sewing, to satisfy and encourage that urge to sew something nice. The group I'm in has been working on a classic white blouse from Vogue. But thank goodness I have them. They were able help me with the fitting (alas, gone are the days from sewing right out of the envelope or just a few tweaks) and find some nice white fabric to justify the time and effort to create this blouse. A white blouse is classic and will never go out of style, and can look good on everyone. But I also realize sewing is a solitary sport and without feedback other than a loving husband or significant other, it's hard to win sometimes.