Monday, May 31, 2010

Spinach Apple Salad with Maple Cider Vinaigrette

Sometimes it pays to go through older issues of magazines first before tossing or donating -- otherwise I would not have found and tried Southern Living's Spinach-Apple Salad with Maple-Cider Vinaigrette Not only were we surprised by the fresh combination of spinach and apples, but everyone loved the Maple Cider Vinaigrette and especially the Sugared Curried Pecans. I'll probably make the pecans again before the salad!

A few substitions I made -- I just weighed 6 ounces from my Costco bag of pecans...I used a little less butter and and sugar...I toasted the pecans in the microwave instead of the oven -- it's in the 90's here already, every little degree helps! I though I had apple cider vinegar but didn't and used regular vinegar instead. If I had had apple juice, I would have tossed in a few splashes. I used a Granny apple instead of a Gala and feta cheese instead of goat. Skipped the red onion, as the onions are looking pretty sad and a bit gross right now. There were signs above the bin apologizing for their condition. Next time I will add grilled chicken to round out and create a complete summer weather meal.

Here's the vinaigrette recipe:

Maple-Cider Vinaigrette
1/3 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2/3 cup olive oil

Whisk together cider vinegar and next 4 ingredients. Gradually whisk in oil until well blended.
Vinaigrette may be made up to 3 days ahead. Cover and chill until ready to serve.

And the best for last, the pecans!

Sugared Curried Pecans
1 (6-oz.) package pecan halves
2 tablespoons butter, melted
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon curry powder
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper

Toast pecans in microwave 30 seconds at a time, stirring until toasted and fragrant. Add melted butter, toss and then add seasonings. Spread on a pan, separating with a fork until cooled.
Pecans may be made up to 1 week ahead. Store in an airtight container.

No comments: