Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Star Bars

I discovered this recipe when I found a box of C&H Brown Sugar on the Target clearance end cap for 62 cents!
Here's the link to the original recipe. I thought two sticks of butter were a little too much for an 8 x 8 pan, so I reduced it to 3/4 stick of unsalted butter and 1/2 stick of Earth Balance shortening. I think next time I'll even reduce the butter further to 1/2 stick and keep the 1/2 stick of Earth Balance. I also used a little less brown sugar (sorry, C&H) as the white chocolate chips are very sweet -- And I only used about 2/3 of the bag. Hopefully I cut some of the fat and the calories with these changes!

Star Bars
Description: Chocolate Cookie Sandwich With White Chocolate Chip Center

Ingredients:
1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened
1 cup C&H Pure Cane Golden Brown Sugar, packed
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 (12 oz.) white chocolate pieces

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 8x8x2-inch-baking dish. In large bowl beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, soda, salt and cocoa; stir into sugar mixture. Spread half of dough in baking dish. Sprinkle white chocolate pieces over dough; gently press into dough. Carefully spread remaining dough over chips. Bake 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on rack; cut into bars.
Makes 2 dozen







I will definitely add these to the recipe notebook. They are very pretty - perfect for a cookie swap party - and very yummy!

No comments: