Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Sandra Betzina Today's Fit Vogue 1017 - View B - times 2!

After I did the trial muslin of Vogue 1017 - View B, short sleeves -
I turned right around and made it not once but twice. And I have a third version in black linen awaiting cut out! I can't believe this great pattern is already OOP, out-of-print. You can still order it online, and you may luck out and find it still tucked away in the pattern drawers.

Like most of the recent Today's Fit patterns, this pattern runs a little short. Great if you are petite; if you are slightly or greatly taller than average or long-waisted, be ready to add to the length. I added 2 1/2" in the length, 1/2 inch of that was following Sandra's suggestion of adding 1/2" above the armscye helps get those princess seams and darts in perfect alignment. I also added 2" to the bottom for a 1" hem to get the perfect length for me. I cut the largest size for the tie belt so it would be long enough to tie in a bow instead of just knotted.

My first version was View B in a green and white floral print, which I thought looked very Banana Republic-y. I was happy to see the puffed sleeves were not that puffy, mainly because they are not tight fitting. It was a nice variation for a short sleeved summer blouse. An interesting and not expected bonus - the asymmetrical flap piece added to the button placket. It gives the illusion of sexy/blouse falling open look without the risk of revealing too much.

Second time around, I used a lighter weight cotton and tried the ruffle. While I had my doubts - others gave their thumbs up to this one. I think if you want to do the ruffle, make sure your fabric is thin enough so it will fall closer to the body. I'm still on the fence if I will use the ruffle with the black linen. I'm leaning towards not, but I'll gather a scrap and see how it behaves first.

What else did I like about this pattern? The back pleat was a nice touch and because it is seamed at the upper and lower back, it stays in place nicely. I liked the front and back princess seams - that subtle curving and fit makes this even more flattering. The collar and plackets are easy to do -- Sandra's instructions are wonderful throughout.

If/when it ever cools off around here, I am definitely looking forward to sewing View A's longer sleeved version. (I loved Sharon's/Adventures in the Sewing Studio's in gray with pink topstitching.)

I give this pattern 5 stars. If you have it in your stash or come across it, buy it and sew it!

1 comment:

Serena L said...

Is this the pattern for the top you wore to the sewing group? It turned out beautiful.