Friday, April 04, 2014

A to Z Blogging Challenge - D is for Dandelion

D is for Dandelion - Taraxacum


Also known as Fairy Clock and Blowballs!
It is said that the jagged leaves helped name it - Dent-de-Lion (Lion's tooth)

I do believe the dandelion is poised to become the new media nutritional darling.

The Republic of Tea even has a new Dandelion tea.
Or you can make your own using the flowers, roots or leaves.    (Best to use them from your own, untreated yard, instead of from public places.)  Dandelion tea is supposedly good for weight loss and helping to lower cholesterol.  You can even roast the roots to make a coffee substitute.

The dandelion is anti inflammatory, and some studies are showing it could help prevent cancer - particularly melanoma.  Dandelion is very good for the digestive system, including the liver, gallbladder and pancreas, and supporting kidney function.

The leaves are less bitter if picked before the flowers appear...but once the they do, the flowers have their own uses.  People are also making an infused oil with the flowers to not only put on salads, but as a rub for aches and pains, and irritated skin.   Here's a good link:  http://thenerdyfarmwife.com/dandelion-salve-recipe/


3 comments:

Lani Woodland said...

It's amazing to me how many wonderful things the plants around us can to help us. My friend introduced me to essential oils and it's really opened my eyes. Great post! http://dauntlessauthors.blogspot.com

stillblooming said...

Nice, nice, nice, a favorite of mine!

Peggy said...

Thank you! I've learned a lot along the way. From both this project and trying to live more healthfully. I get acupuncture treatments and my practitioner also has helped me with chinese herbs for my allergies and overall well-being and immunity building. If you are ever in Galveston, be sure to check out Hooked on Acupuncture. I have never felt or been this healthy in my life!