Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Today is National Oatmeal Cookie Day!

“I'd make oatmeal cookies."
"Cookies?"
"I would. That's just what I would do."
"Why?"
He lifts one hand from the steering wheel and pinches his chin. "Because the world is changing so fast all the time. There's nothing you can do but just say, 'cool,' and roll with it. But some things can stay the same. Flour is still flour. Vanilla still smells like vanilla. Say a giant fireball is motoring toward us right now from Alha Centauri. Okay, universe. You expect us to run and scream and kill one another? Sorry, we're making oatmeal freaking cookies.”

― R.A. Nelson, Breathe My Name

And here are three recipes I have tried and enjoyed.  (I would say my favorite is the Oatmeal Raisin one.  They truly did "vanish" around the house after I made them.)

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Pecan
This is from the December 2007 issue of Cooking Light Magazine - Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip and Pecan Cookies

*The reviews were mixed on this, so I took some, but not all of the advice and followed part but not all of the recipe.  The one thing I did which I regret, was adding Penzeys Cake Spice instead of cinnamon.  Some of my testers liked it, I didn't really.  Perhaps I put too much in, almost 1 teaspoonful.  I've used this in other recipes with great results - especially cinnamon and raisin bread.  But not this one.  I don't think it played nicely with the chocolate chips.   Which I used regular sized as opposed to the mini chips.

I also added an extra egg white, as some others reported the dough as dry.  The one thing I did do was weigh the flour as opposed to just using measuring cups.  That could be a reason why some had a dry dough, perhaps too much flour.  

And I always use unsalted butter.  I skipped the parchment paper, just because I am lucky to have the Williams-Somoma Gold Touch cookie sheets!


Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour (about 5 1/2 ounces)*
1 cup regular oats
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened*
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 large egg*
1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate mini chips*

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°.
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through salt), stirring with a whisk; set aside.
Place sugars and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add vanilla and egg; beat until blended. Gradually add flour mixture, beating at low speed just until combined. Stir in pecans and minichips. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until edges of cookies are lightly browned. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove cookies from pans; cool on wire racks.


Oatmeal Raisin

These are the Quaker Oats "Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies" recipe found on the underside of the lid. 

Ingredients: 

1/2 Cup (1 stick) plus 6 tablespoons butter, softened
3/4 Cup  firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 Cup granulated sugar
2 Eggs
1 Teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
1 Teaspoon(s) Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon salt (optional)
3 Cups Quaker® Oats (I used old fashioned, uncooked)
1 Cup raisins

Preparation:  

Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, beat butter and sugars on medium speed of electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Add oats and raisins; mix well. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.
Makes 4-5 dozen


Oatmeal Pecan
And if you like nuts instead, this Oatmeal Pecan cookie recipe also a favorite of ours from Taste of Home's Simple and Delicious magazine.  The secret ingredient is Rice Krispies!
Click here for the December 2, 2007 post.

No comments: