Thursday, February 05, 2009

Slow-Cooked Baked Sweet Potatoes


I got this idea from the Fall issue of Prevention's Slow Cooker Recipe Book-let on page 7. Which I couldn't find last night, trying to clear the areas for painting yesterday. But I found it this morning. So instead of combining canola oil (1T), trans-free margarine (1T melted), honey (1T), water (3T), cinnamon (1t) and nutmeg (1/4 t) to coat the potatoes (4), I just rubbed a little shortening on the skins, pierced with a fork and wrapped in foil. Cook on Low 4 hours if small, longer if larger. I liked how they turned out. An easy way to enjoy sweet potatoes. They had two good suggestions what to do with the crocked potatoes -- Puree 2-3 peeled potatoes with 2 cups milk or broth in blender until smooth and microwave for a quick, easy soup. You can also sprinkle sliced potatoes with brown sugar or honey and cinnamon, dot with trans-free margarine and bake for 15-20 minutes at 350. Though my potatoes were a little too mushy to slice, scoopable-yes; I bet the mushies would still work.

3 comments:

Jen said...

What a great idea!! I will be trying this one.

Sandra said...

Great recipe, thank you for sharing :)

carrie said...

My hubby would LOVE these!