Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Wednesday Work in Progress - Wintergreen'd

My Dad as a little boy

Dad and Grandma

Grandpa and Grandma
In watercoloring class, we learned how to transfer photos and sketches using wintergreen oil.  A very cool technique!

All you need is wintergreen oil --

Synthetic works great and is cheaper.  Some pharmacies will have it, you can also check the baking aisles.  Humco is one brand, and the one we used in class - which you can order online or contact them and they will let you know which stores in your area carry it.
I actually found mine at Bulk Apothecary at a great price with affordable shipping rates...plus RetailMeNot has coupons for them, I got an additional 10% off!

-- Strathmore Bristol Smooth paper
(make sure it is Smooth, not Vellum - they look very similar, says the girl who now has a pad of Vellum paper)

-- Q-tips

-- A page folding tool/bone paper folder, or any rounded/smooth edged tool to rub/transfer the design without destroying the paper in the process.

-- Photographs or sketches which have been photocopied.  Not from your printer.

Bonus if the copier you are using has "use original color" feature.
I printed these photos from the computer as "photograph" and was so happy the sepia color came through on the photocopy and the transfer!

Unfortunately, regular colored photographs do not work as well.  The transfer is very faint.

Also remember that your transfer will be reversed from the original.  Be mindful of letters and numbers.

Ready?

1.  Place your copy face down on the Bristol Smooth paper.  It helps to tape a few corners/edges to avoid smearing.  You should also tape the Bristol paper to a foam board or other firm surface.

2.  Using a Q-tip, dip it into the wintergreen oil and apply to a small area of the copy.  Note:  It dries quickly!   About 2 inches was workable for me.

3.  Take your paper folding tool and rub firmly.  I found a circular motion worked best instead of just one direction.   As you can see, by the time I got to Grandma and Grandpa, I got better!   You can even see the cigarette he's holding!

4.  After it dries, you can enhance the details with pencils - lead, charcoal, Prisma, watercolor….PITT pens…or try tinting with a little watercolor paint or thinned gouache…even making it three dimensional with glitter, beads, scrapbooking embellishments, etc.

This is a great way to reproduce your work/sketches and treasured photographs and pictures.  The ones I used were printed from a cousin's email on my printer.    You can also play with reducing or enlarging the size of the transfer photocopy.  You can also selectively transfer within the photocopy.

I can't wait to give the ones of my Dad to my Mom in a pretty frame!  I will post the final results before I do!

Here's a link to the finished photo - http://thehouseofkent.blogspot.com/2014/06/wednesday-work-in-progress-picture.html

 

No comments: