Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Wednesday Work in Progress - “My life is like a stroll on the beach...as near to the edge as I can go.” --Thoreau

I was able to take this
cool class at the Pearl Fincher Museum of Fine Arts last week!

We got to play with and use these cool "toys" --


We used this in spray bottles

Don't shake this!

These were nice, indeed very "Inktense"




















WatercolorBeyond800b2
Inspirational (Aspirational)
In the Adult Art Classes for December, we will experiment with combining several watercolor painting techniques. Participants will enrich their artwork with a patterned underpainting, created by using stencils with liquid masque and applying watercolor paints with spray bottles. The subject matter will be added with Inktense pencils; once water is added, the paintings’ focal point emerges in bright and brilliant colors.  - Instructor:  Evelyn Bouley


I'm all for trying new techniques and getting new results.  And I thought this looked really cool.  Sorta along the lines of Kelly Rae Roberts and other collage-y artists.   I like to combine different mediums.

First you copied your design onto another piece of paper and secured in the center.  Then lightly spritz the liquid water color paint over the paper.   Using the masking fluid, you rolled/painted the texture either by using a stencil (the "seaweed"), or a roller with embossing (the tiny round circles - they really didn't show), or painting over a textured stamp and stamping (the curlycues).  I used all three.  Spritz with the watercolors again.  Remove the masking and the stencil.



Then you filled in the center design with the Inkpencils.  They were nice and bright, but I think you could also get the same effect, if not softer, using water color pencils.

This is how mine turned out.  I love all the colors!
A few little spritzing control issues, but that was more equipment/bottle sprayer malfunction.  I kinda like the extra dots of color.
I think I may work on the edges of the shell a little bit more.  The lines really don't look as red as they do in the photo.
But I do like how I was able to get different shading within the shell once I added water.  

All in all, not bad for a first try!  I will definitely play with this fun combo technique some more.




No comments: