Wednesday, December 14, 2011

This year's Christmas Cookie!

Here is the second version, rolled in a mix of powdered sugar and sprinkles! They look "iced" cool!



I love those chocolate peanut butter cookies, don't you? They are also called Peanut Butter Blossoms or Black-Eyed Susans. I got all excited when I saw the Candy Cane Hershey Kisses at Target. And since I am highly addicted to Starbuck's Peppermint Mocha (skinny/non-fat and now in a sugar-free version, thank you!) I thought they would go great in a chocolate cookie. I was surprised after dragging out all my Hershey cookbooks, I couldn't find a chocolate/chocolate Kiss version. So I flipped through my other tried and true cookie recipes and came up with this, our 2011 Christmas Cookie. Enjoy!



CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT KISS COOKIES

1 ¼ cups flour
½ cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup sugar
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
Candy Cane Hershey’s Kisses

Preheat oven to 350. In medium bowl, mix flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In large (to be covered) bowl, combine sugar and butter. At high speed, beat 2 minutes until creamy. Beat in egg and vanilla, beat 2 minutes. Beat in flour mixture. Chill one hour or until dough is firm.

Roll dough in 1” balls and then roll in colored sugar (Wilton has a nice white sparkle sugar which I mixed with green sugar) and place 2” apart on cookie sheets. Bake 10 minutes, switching racks at 5 minutes. Cookies should start to have cracks. Gently push a Kiss in the center and bake for an additional 2 minutes – watch carefully before the tip starts to brown. Cool and enjoy!

Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
_____

These were originally the Cocoa M&M Cookies from the March, 1995 issue of McCall’s magazine. You can change it back by adding 1 cup of plain M&M’s and rolling the balls in confectioner’s sugar.

Here's the link to my March 13, 2008 post with the pastel-colored "Easter"/Springtime M&M's

1 comment:

Monica said...

Ugh peanut butter. ycuk yuck yuck