Monday, July 08, 2013

Whole Foods - Inspired Plum Crumble

I tried Whole Foods Plum Crumble, featured in their latest in-store circular, "The Whole Deal"

This turned out very well and very yummy!  I like the twist on using vanilla wafers and almonds as part of the "crumble".  I did sub out Nilla Reduced Fat Vanilla Wafers instead of using Whole Foods 365 Everyday Value.  I also used my food processor on pulse instead of trying to break up the cookies by hand.  And I forgot to add the teaspoon of cinnamon to it, but a quick save of sprinkling a teaspoonful of Penzeys Cinnamon Sugar over the sliced fruit worked in a pinch.  However, next time I will remember to add the ground cinnamon to the crumble part to make it more cinnamon-y.

I will be making this again - it's very versatile.
I can see variations in the fruit - nectarines, peaches, cherries, apples…and subbing out the almonds for pecans and walnuts.
Definitely keeping the cookies.
Definitely!
(P.S. I added two extra cookies.  I love Vanilla Wafers and loved the idea of using them this way.)

Leftovers taste great on top of Greek yogurt for breakfast or anytime
…and ice cream!

You will definitely want to add this to your recipe file.

PLUM CRUMBLE


1 cup sliced almonds
4 tablespoons cold 365 Everyday Value® Unsalted Butter, cut into cubes
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
20 365 Everyday Value® Organic Vanilla or Lemon Wafers (20!  not 20,365!)
1 1/2 pound pounds plums (about 6), pitted and chopped

Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, use (a food processor) your hands to mash together the almonds, butter, cinnamon and wafers until well combined but still fairly coarse. Arrange plums in a (9 in) pie dish, and top with almond mixture, pressing it together in handfuls, and then scattering it in large pieces over the top. Bake until plums are tender and juicy and almond mixture is golden, 45 to 50 minutes. (To avoid burning, tent with foil during baking, if needed.) Serve warm or at room temperature.


PER SERVING:230 calories (130 from fat), 15g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 20mg cholesterol, 35mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g dietary fiber, 14g sugar), 4g protein



No comments: