Thursday, October 29, 2015

Drop In!

Pumpkins
15" x 9"



Mount Rainier
14" x 11"

I attended a great art workshop earlier this week!  We used Daler Rowney FW Acrylic Artists Ink as watercolor paint, wet watercolor paper (both sides!) and an eye dropper to sketch in a loose idea.  It was fun to watch the inks spread and diffuse while wet, and even after drying.  The mixing and blending created different values, and using the eye dropper helped lend itself to movement and visual interest.  You can then add details with a fine-point Sharpie pen for more visual interest.  (I'm still thinking about that.  I may make a photocopy and play with it first, as I like how these are already at this point.  Or if I use my printer and watercolor paper to make copies as cards.  Perhaps the next painting, if it so speaks to me to do so.)

I really enjoy taking these classes, they provide an opportunity to try new-to-me products and learn different techniques.  And these paintings really helped loosen me up in my watercolor adventures, especially the last one I did, which was the pumpkin.  It took me less than five minutes, but forever to dry.  I was afraid to move it to the blow dryer, so there I was fanning it with a paper plate.   Who says painting isn't good exercise.  Work those biceps and triceps!

The next day, I headed over to Hobby Lobby to pick up a starter set of six inks, and to Texas Art Supply for additional colors. ; )  TAS had a more expanded selection, including "Shimmering Gold."  The helpful, enabling associate there said it is really versatile and layer-able over other other colors for fun effects.   I know I will have fun with that one in many other adventures.  While watercolor paper is used for this, save your good Arches and use the Strathmore and Canson watercolor pad papers instead - 140 pound, cold press.

No comments: