Sunday, October 25, 2015

What Does It Madder?

Oops!  Correction:  Rose Madder is Non-Staining
Permanent Rose versus Rose Madder --

One of the first colors suggested by my watercolor instructor was to get Permanent Rose.  Somehow along the way I read a book/a suggestion and picked up a tube of Rose Madder.

Permanent Rose is cool, semi-transparent and staining.
Rose Madder is cool, transparent and non-staining (I corrected my sketch after photographing)

I was using them interchangably, as when I set my palette down, they are on the opposite side so I see the colors grouped together but not the labels I put on the side.  Finally my instructor said, "Take out that Rose Madder!"

Though first,  a side-by-side comparison for a visual lesson opportunity.

Not much difference at first glance, right?  Though the Rose Madder did seem to lay down paint in a pretty way.

But Rose Madder is considered a "fugitive" color and Permanent Rose was developed to replace it, hence the Permanent in the name.

However, I thought this was an interesting comment from Jeanne Dobie -  

Winsor Newton Rose Madder Genuine: The closest alternative color is Winsor Newton Permanent Rose. However, the two pigments have different qualities. Rose Madder Genuine is very transparent and identified by Winsor Newton as an unique pigment used for luminous light effects that cannot be obtained by any other pigment. Rose Madder Genuine is a favorite color among artists who desire glowing flowers, delicate portraits, glazing, and atmospheric effects, etc. Although not listed as permanent, Rose Madder Genuine can remain durable IF your painting is framed properly with UV protected glass and not placed near a window or in direct sunlight (applicable to all watercolors).

Winsor Newton Permanent Rose, slightly bluer in color, is a staining pigment and thus, creates a permanent color stain on your paper. Although a staining pigment is resistant to fading, be aware that it may not result in capturing a luminous effect, if that is your goal as a watercolor artist.

I also found a nice link for additional watercolor tips and paint information - Ken Bromley Art Supplies 

Little tidbits here and there help feed the creative appetite.


No comments: