Thursday, January 08, 2015

Thursday Tea Time - Yerba Mate Latte

This week - The Republic of Tea Yerba Mate Latte  


Cost:  $36.99/pound at Whole Foods...but before you shriek, a healthy, almost 1/2 cup scoop is only $2, enough for several mugfuls.  Also available online for $10.25 or $15 at Mod Coffeehouse in Galveston...36 teabags.
Caffeine: Yes
Type of tea: Herbal/Rooibos
Mix ins: Silk Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk and a touch of sugar.
Fragrance:  Slightly nutty
Ingredients:  Rooibos, roasted yerba mate, natural almond, vanilla, chocolate flavors, sunflower petals and almond bits
Opinion: I saw this at Mod Coffeehouse in Galveston, selling for $15 a can.  Which by the time you figure in postage turns out to be close enough to the online website price.  So I thought I would look for it in the Houston area.  Nope.  No luck.   But lo and behold when I rounded the aisles of Whole Foods on Kirby, there it was in the loose-leaf version.  I picked up a couple of scoops for $2 and tried it.  I'm going back to Mod to buy the canister!  This is good!  I didn't really taste the chocolate.  It was just very smooth and nutty-creamy.  It almost tasted like marshmallow.   The extra boost from the yerba mate is appreciated, too.  I thought it tasted best with Silk's Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk and just a touch of sugar.
Rating: 4

No comments: