Sunday, June 07, 2009

Sew Mama Sew - Sewing Machine Meme


What brand and model do you have?

Viking Husqvarna 1100

How long have you had it?

Since 1989 - it was their anniversary (300 years!) model and top-of-the-line at the time!

How much did that machine cost (approximately)?
I'm thinking I paid around $1,000 for it. I traded in my 940 and the MSRP must have been around $1,800-$2,000+. My dealer is very honest and fair. He is held in my highest esteem and in my collection of the coolest people I know.

What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)?

Anything I can stick under the needle, including my thumb*!

How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get?

It definitely gets put through its paces. It's a trooper!

Do you like/love/hate your machine?

LOVE!

Does she have a name?

Uh, "sewing machine"?

What features does your machine have that work well for you?

The three widths of applique/satin stitches at a touch of the button. All are perfect!
More than 10 different buttonholes
Pictograms!

Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine?

I wish it had upper and lowercase letters. It only has block and script in caps and one size. But then again, it was 1989. I still use them a lot. If I need bigger letters, I chalk trace and use those satin stitches or free motion them.
Do you have a great story to share about your machine (i.e., Found it under the Christmas tree? Dropped it on the kitchen floor? Sewed your fingernail to your zipper?, Got it from your Great Grandma?, etc.!)? We want to hear it!

*Gross out time -- my thumb got in the way free-motioning and the needle not only went into it, but the tip broke off at the eye inside my thumb. I didn't know it and thought the piece just flew off landing in the carpet. I did start to get an oh-oh feeling when I couldn't find it. Three days later I go to the doctor because my thumb is still sore -- he takes an X-ray and tah-dah -the needle tip! Go to surgeon next day...and I now have a very identifiable thumbprint scar. Resolve not to enter a life of crime.
Would you recommend the machine to others? Why?

Yes! When I chatted with VWS a few years ago, one of them mentioned she had an 1100, too. She said it was one of the best sewing machines they had ever made. And even with access to the newer machines, she still loves and uses her 1100. My dealer said the same thing, too.

You can sometimes find it on eBay - make sure you get all five stitch cards (A-F)

What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine?

An honest dealer.

Do you have a dream machine?

I certainly would not turn down a Viking Husqvarna embroidery machine should it suddenly appear in my sewing room. I'm very brand loyal. But I would still use and keep that 1100 as my main sewing machine.



UPDATE AUGUST 13, 2014 -- Please click here to see how to thread your Husqvarna Viking 1100 sewing machine!
And click here for how to wind the Viking 1100 bobbin!
UPDATE APRIL 18, 2015 -- Click here how to clean and keep your Viking Husqvarna 1100 happy!

15 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hi! Great review of the 1100. I am looking at purchasing one of these. My biggest concern is that I find a machine that can accomodate a larger quilt. Do you think there is enough room in the harp area? I'm trying to thoroughly research, but I admit I'm growing weary! Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Peggy said...

I'm not quite sure what a harp is, but the amount of space from the right of the needle to the control is 8" and the height from the bed to the light is 4 1/2"

I LOVE my 1100 - in fact it just went in for its first in 20 years check up, and it still sews like a champ!

Peggy said...

I'm not quite sure what a harp is, but the amount of space from the right of the needle to the control is 8" and the height from the bed to the light is 4 1/2"

I LOVE my 1100 - in fact it just went in for its first in 20 years check up, and it still sews like a champ!

Stephanie said...

Thank you so much for that valuable information, Peggy! I've heard "harp" and "throat" thrown around a lot and decided that I don't like saying "throat" anymore. Harp is prettier to me. :) Anyway, I think I'll get it! Your measurements are just what I wanted! YAY! Thanks again and happy sewing!

Lori M. said...

While I know this is an older posting, I just had to post about the Viking 1100. I've had one since about 1993/94 that I bought used for $500. That was a lot of money for us back then but I've used that machine hard and I love it. I started running into some issues with it and while I could work my way around them, I was keeping my eyes open for another machine. Yesterday I was out of town and went into a large sewing machine store and there was a Viking 1100 in brand new condition for $500. I chewed him down to $450 and was happy to purchase it. It had very little use and you could tell. I'm very happy that I now own twin 1100's!

rachaugs said...

I realize this post is quite old but it provided quite a bit of information after googling the Viking 1100. I just received an 1100 sewing machine, approximately 20 years old, after the death of a grandmother. I've used it very little only because the manual is so vague! I'm told it's an excellent machine but the embroidery features on the machine I have won't work unless the technology is upgraded. I'm not super thrilled with the idea of embroidery - I am a seamstress. However the manual is so vague with regard to basic functions that I can't understand how to use it properly. I'm considering trading it in for a brand new Janome but am reconsidering it after reading this post. Thoughts?

rachaugs said...

I realize this post is quite old however I found it very helpful after googling the Viking 1100. I recently received an 1100 machine, approximately 20 years old, after the death of a grandmother. I've used it very little but have heard it is an excellent machine. My biggest issue is the extremely vague manual! I'm not super thrilled with the embroidery features (I'm a seamstress and don't really need them) but have been told that in order to get them working, the machine has to get some sort of computer upgrade. Unfortunately the manual seems to be devoted almost entirely to these features I'm not inclined to use, I can't understand how to use it properly. I'm considering trading it in for a brand new Janome but am reconsidering it after reading this post. Thoughts?

Peggy said...

The manual is thin, but I think because the machine is very user friendly. You may be able to find book-lets or even VHS videos on Pictograms. Have you tried YouTube?

Michelle said...

Help! I just got an old 1100 and can't find a video how to thread this machine. The manual doesn't make sense and I want to start sewing like crazy. Do you have a good video or explanation of threading?

Peggy said...

Check YouTube. Though also give it a try yourself first. It is very easy to thread and you'll soon learn which is the right way. I will also take a photo of my machine threaded and add it to this post for you.

Peggy said...

I updated this post with a link I just wrote on how to thread your Husqvarna Viking 1100 -
http://thehouseofkent.blogspot.com/2014/08/threading-your-viking-husqvarna-1100.html
Copy and paste, or check for my August 13, 2014 post "Threading Your Viking Husqvarna 1100. I will also be posting directions how to wind the bobbin.

Peggy said...

And, here is a link to my post about winding the Viking Husqvarna 1100 bobbin
http://thehouseofkent.blogspot.com/2014/08/threading-your-viking-husqvarna-1100_13.html

N. Jones said...

I have the 1100 and LOVE it! It's my main machine and has helped me create beautiful quilts, dresses, baby clothes, purses and more. However, I'm having an issue with the threads creating a "birds nest" on the bottom side of the fabric as I try to stitch. I have adjusted tension, rewound bobbins and done everything that I could think of. The manual hasn't been much help, so I thought maybe you had a suggestion? Thanks!!

Peggy said...

Are you holding both your upper and lower threads up and out of the way to the left of the presser foot before beginning your seam? You can lightly put them in the thread cutter to hold them. Try that and see what happens. Try a different thread brand. I have noticed the quality decline of certain brands and a subsequent decline in stitching. Did it just start doing it recently? Have you tried different fabrics with the same result? If so, it may just need a tune up/timing adjustment to get things coordinated again. The older it gets, the more lint and dust can accumulate inside and start to slow some of the movement. Hope you and your machine are back in sync soon!

Peggy said...

I realize people are finding this post and others at different times/different ways. I just wanted to add here I posted another blog update about keeping your Viking 1100 clean and happy -- http://thehouseofkent.blogspot.com/2015/04/how-to-clean-your-viking-husqvarna-1100.html