Saturday, June 13, 2009

Sandra Betzina Today's Fit Vogue 1101 - View A


Note to Sandra: You seriously need to have a chat with Vogue about your pattern photos and illustrations! The newest Today's Fit Vogue 1101 is another one of her designs which Vogue does not do justice.
The neckline has a pretty shaping. And it's bias! You can't tell all this from the photo/drawing. (I would love to be able to see the sleeve version, right now the drawing makes it look like a "patio dress".)
The fabric, "Ethnic Scribble," is from Jo-Ann's Simply Silkies collection. I originally bought it for another dress, another pattern. When I was getting ready to alter the other pattern, I knocked 1101 off of the end of the cutting table. A sign? I am so much happier with this match of fabric and pattern instead.

I automatically added two inches to the length at the waist - and cut out and lowered the back darts. When I saw I had an extra 5" available in the layout length, I added that too, turning it into the trendy summer maxi dress. I'll still be able to shorten and wear it next year, if not sooner if the length really bugs me during real world wearing.

As far as the technique to sew the shoulder seams, if you follow Sandra's suggestions, it will work and it is a nice finish. She used this technique previously on one of her other top patterns. Accuracy in stitching the facing seams is a must for them to be able to meet exactly. And because it is a small circle to stitch - you'll only be able to sew about 1/2" before having to stop and readjust - try hand basting it together first. Not only to make it easier to sew, but to flip it right side out to check and make sure you won't end up with a facing on the right side of the fabric. Especially if you didn't interface the facing. Oops, not. The fabric had enough body to not need it.



With the front and back darts, I like how it looks unbelted and belted with a light woven JJill belt - and with sandals or cowboy boots or barefoot.
I'm turning right around and making it again - shorter and in a cotton print. A great way to beat the heat - sewing inside with the A/C and then having something cool to wear venturing outside.

1 comment:

Sharon Sews said...

Nice! I admit, the cover of this one did nothing for me. Now that I've seen it made up a few times I might try it for myself.