Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Crafty Chica's Guide to Artful Sewing


Crafty Chica's Guide to Artful Sewing - Fabu-Low-Sew Projects by Kathy Cano-Murillo ISBN: 978-0-307-40666-8 Library Call No. 746

Filled with over 20 projects. I liked the Stitch In Time tidbits from other sewists scattered throughout the book. One in particular (Fredda in McKinney, Texas - page 110) incorporates Pi as a sewing aid - not pie pie, though I think that could help with sewing - but using Pi to figure out the fabric amount needed to make sewing around pillows, circle skirts, tablecloths, etc. Check out the sewing machine covered with buttons on page 18! I also liked her super-easy way to make a laptop sleeve (page 52) by using a pillowcase and a layer of batting. This book would definitely appeal to the new generation of sewers in their teens-20's, but even those of us beyond would find inspiration and bravery to try new techniques...jumping off the perfection bandwagon, and finding the freedom to just sew. I would buy this book the next time I need a free shipping boost from Amazon and a sewing jumpstart.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for the review! I'm so happy you liked the book!
Kathy :-)

Sue said...

Hi Peg, remember earlier this year I saw the Crafty Chica exhibit at the museum here in Phoenix?